Friday, October 19, 2007

Jamaickanaw Island











Well, Bethany and I finally escaped Holland for a long weekend away to Mackinaw Island. We had the luxury...and we definitely mean "luxury"...of dropping the kids off at Papa and Gramma Bowman's. In fact, I'd like to take this opportunity to give them a huge round of applause...

[Clap profusely now]

Kudos to Ma' and Pa'. The kids had (as usual) tons of fun while getting pampered and spoiled...Isaiah's comment pretty much summed up the weekend when it was time to go, "I want to stay heeah fahevah." On that same note, Beth's comment pretty much summed up her weekend when it was time to leave the island, "I want to stay heeah fahevah." Just kidding. 3 nights were actually just right...we were ready to leave on Sunday.

Our visit started out with, what initially seemed like, a horrible beginning...that soon turned into a thrill of a lifetime (well, almost). Due to a 30 minute delay in Otsego for a "quick" gas stop, a 45-minute delay due to construction in Petoskey, and a misleading website indicating a last ferry ride departure of 5:30 to the island...we missed the last ferry ride that actually left at 4:30.

The feeling that came rushing over me at the moment of being informed of this was very similar to the feeling of missing the bus as a kid (x100) or maybe more accurately, oversleeping the morning of a final exam that begins at 8:00 a.m. Anyways...it wasn't a good feeling. I immediately began brainstorming ways to convince Beth that a night's stay at the Mac-N-Nac-N-Sac Motel in Mackinaw City is just as romantic as the Mission Point Resort on the island. Despite the brainstorming, we learned of one option left...by airplane. So, that's what we did. We crossed the bridge to St. Ignace, arrived at a very small, quaint airport, and piled into a 6 person airplane. Just like Channel 8 News, when action breaks, we're there with the camera...so, enjoy the footage of our less than smooth flight.

The island consisted of many "touristy", but entertaining attractions...but most of all it was just nice to be at a location that truly disconnects you from reality...it's a simple, but very different way of life. The most common sitings are horse drawn carriages, fudge shops, tandem bikes, piles of manure, lone duck eating manure, guy scooping manure, and lots (and I mean lots) of Jamaicans. Seriously, every restaurant, shop, and hotel/resort had Jamaicans on staff. I'm not sure what the attraction is but they're there. It's the accents that catch you off guard at first. I'm petitioning for a change of name to the island...hence, the title to this posting.

Here's a quick guide to the pics (starting at the top):
1. Air shot of island from plane.
2. Beth and I in front of Mission Point Resort (our lodging).
3. Arch Rock
4. Tandem Bike that "comfortable" took Beth and I around the island (8 miles in total).
5. Hot chick with scenic background.
6. Boccie Ball Field (also used for Croquet)...we played two games. It was like a golf green but huge...maybe 40 ft. x 60 ft. Sure beats playing on your backyard.
7. Grand Hotel from our ferry ride back to St. Ignace.
8. Jumbo Jet
9. Mackinaw Bridge

More pics to come of the kids stay at Papa and Gramma's.

Over and out.

Phil

2 comments:

The Bowman Blog said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. The pictures are beautiful. I couldn't run the video--said it wasn't available. Good talking with you guys today! Miss you all!
Aimee

mommy moorefield said...

How fun. Glad you had a chance to get away. Thinking of you...

Kate